THE COMPLETE LACK OF INDEPENDENCE AND MISERABLE CONFINEMENT ALSO KNOWN AS EXTENDED BEDREST.
Ugh. Extended .... as in .... a really long period of time. Twenty-one full weeks to be exact. Or 148 days. Or 3552 hours. But who's counting?
The last few weeks have been crazy and overwhelmingly stressful and ....... let's just say I haven't been in the best mood. Needless to say, blogging has landed somewhere around #450 on my list of Top 500 Things to Worry About. So while there are so many complicated things going on at the moment (more than I can possibly blog in one sitting), let me try to summarize how I got here:
12.5wks: I started having contractions
13wks: I began the weekly 17P injections and was told to reduce my activity and "put my feet up" as much as possible. Though Dr. Mann never explicitly said the dreaded "B" word, James and I knew what was coming and decided to plan ahead. So we began searching for a nanny to help out here at the house during the week.
14.5wks: My home nurse started making her weekly visits. I had ultrasound #10 and found out we are once again on TEAM BLUE - it's a boy! Dr. Mann also discovered I have Placenta Previa. These are categorized in order of severity as marginal, partial, or complete. Mine is a Complete Previa ..... because, it just wouldn't be a Kristi pregnancy if it weren't the worst case scenario, of course! I was told there was a "very good" chance the previa would resolve on it's own as the pregnancy progressed. If it didn't resolve, however, this would exponentially complicate matters since the biggest risk with a previa is hemorrhaging and of course I'm on blood thinners (Lovenox and Aspirin, to combat the Protein S Def), and also I tend to have early cervical thinning / preterm labor which in the case of a hemorrhaging previa would require immediate Csection, and could potentially be a very premature delivery.
17.5 wks: We hired a nanny, though she needed to work out a notice with her previous employer so she hadn't started yet. I had ultrasound #11, at which Dr. Mann reported a slight improvement in the location of the placenta, though I still had a complete previa. But she was hopeful that it may continue to move and eventually resolve itself. My cervix measured 3.5 cm long, which was down from my last measurement (4cm) a few weeks ago but still on the lower end of the "normal" range so cautiously we considered this a bit of good news. However she also found a new problem: Polyhydramnios. I had this with Jamin's pregnancy as well, it's basically too much amniotic fluid around the baby. There are several risks associated with this by itself, for me the most urgent being that it increases pressure on the cervix causing it to thin and dilate too early (which is already an existing problem for me). So again it's one more issue to further worsen the other issues. While all the complications are happening independently of one another (the previa, the preterm labor, the Protein S Deficiency, and now the polyhydramnios), the end result is that they all interact to negatively effect eachother and essentially make the next problem even worse.
I was given an oral medication called Indocin, which I also took repeatedly during my pregnancies with Isaac and Jamin. This drug is used to help slow contractions, though one of its (normally undesirable) side-effects is that it tends to reduce amniotic fluid. For most women this would create a problem, but for someone like me who has polyhydramnios, this side effect is actually what we're trying to achieve. The downside is that Indocin can only be taken for a max of 72 hours, because any longer than that can cause heart defects in the baby.
18.5 wks: Dr. Garcia signed a "Georgia Disabled Persons Parking Affidavit" and I was able to obtain a temporary handicapped parking pass. This felt a bit upsetting at first, but I quickly found it to be incredibly helpful and quite a relief for me, particularly during my weekly parking adventures at Northside. I had ultrasound #12 with Dr. Mann, which showed the previa unchanged and the polyhydramnios still present (meaning the 72-hrs of Indocin I took last week did not work). Worse news was that my cervix was now measuring 2.8cm (down from 3.5 just one week ago). I'm told a "normal" cervix at this gestational age should be somewhere around 4-5cm long .... whereas 2.8cm would be normal sometime around 36-38+ weeks gestation as delivery approaches. All of this brought Dr. Mann to finally utter that awful word that I've been so desperately hoping to avoid: BEDREST. She also told me to repeat a second 72-hr course of Indocin, and ordered a terbutaline pump and home monitoring of contractions with a toco machine (will blog more on this tomorrow).
I left there feeling extremely unhappy though not one bit surprised .... we knew all of this was coming, it was more just a question of when. The only thing that kept me from going into a complete panic was the fact that the new nanny, Sara, had just started working. Her first day was on Monday, and I was ordered to begin total bedrest on Tuesday! Yep, that's God's timing folks.
Today I finished my 3rd day of bedrest. Only 145 more to go! (Let's pretend that makes me feel better). I'd be completely lying if I said I'm not immensely freaked out by the long road ahead of us .... the list of complications we're facing and the potential for disaster has my mind spinning most days. But even still, I have this peace knowing that I seriously have the most amazing and highly-qualified team of doctors, and they are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at me. There is no medicine I'm not already on. There is no treatment, no intervention available that we're not already doing. They are literally doing every single thing in their (limited) human power to make this work ....... and guess what that means?? It's no longer up to us. This entire journey rests solely in God's very capable hands, as it has since Day 1 before my doctors and I even knew what obstacles were waiting for us. I don't know for certain that God has another happy ending in store for us, though of course that's what I'm praying for. But I do know that regardless of how this whole thing ends, He will carry us through and we will survive.
Please continue to pray for us!
No comments:
Post a Comment