I think I might be done with the black-and-blue-tummy-look I've been sporting since August.
This is a super-big deal for me. And it's all thanks to this:
That's my new friend, Heparin. Now I'm no fan of medicine, and especially not the kind that requires needles. But this stuff .... ahhhh .... has been a nice change. For 27 weeks I have injected myself with Lovenox each night before bed. Lovenox is Heparin's less polite cousin. They essentially do the same thing - thin the blood - but Lovenox stays in your system for 24hours, while Heparin washes out after about 8-12. There are a few other differences too, but this is the main one. Doctors like lovenox because it's more stable in your system and requires less vigilent monitoring. Patients like lovenox because the syringes are pre-filled and only have to be injected once a day. The problem with lovenox is that you can't deliver a baby while taking it. There's a pesky little quandry of bleeding to death during delivery (generally not the desired outcome), and the fact that you can not have an epidural while it's in your system (which remember, is 24hours after you've taken your shot). So usually doctors will switch their pregnant lovenox users over to heparin around 36-38wks, in preparation for delivery. Heparin will be out of your system 8-12 hours after you inject, plus it's effects can be reversed with another medication (yep, another shot) once you get to the hospital if they see that labor is progressing quickly. Lovenox, on the other hand, can not be reversed. If you're on it when you go into labor you're kinda screwed.
Rather than waiting until week 36-38 to make the switch, my doctors have been planning all along to switch me around week 32, since I've never actually made it to week 36. But in light of last week's events, they have decided instead to switch me now at week 27. Technically I could deliver any day, though of course that's not the plan, but it's not worth the risk to stay on the Lovenox.
So, Wednesday I saw my hemotologist and OB. We ditched the Lovenox and welcomed Heparin into our home. I was less than excited about the switch, because originally my doctors were telling me I would have to inject Heparin THREE TIMES A DAY, yikes! I have been majorly struggling to manage once a day with Lovenox, so the thought of 3x's the needles made me want to cry. As my tummy grows and the skin gets tighter and tighter, it gets more and more difficult to inject. Each night gets more painful and takes longer to complete. So I was dreading the switch to 3 times a day.
Well, Wednesday I got two pleasant surprises: (1) My doc changed her mind and decided twice a day was enough; and (2) The needles are waaaaay smaller and way easier to inject! Because the syringes are not prefilled (instead you draw it up from the vial), you can pretty much use any size needle you want. My sweet pharmacist at Publix hooked me up with insulin needles, they are teeeeeny tiny and I can barely even feel them going in! So while I now have double the needles, the whole process is seriously half the trouble. Hardly any pain, and ...... dare I speculate ...... less bruising???????
Well it's only been two days so I don't know for sure yet about the bruising. But I'm hopeful that there will be an improvement. I will happily bid a fond farewell to my pitiful blue and purple sidekicks and welcome that nice smooth photogenic bump that I see in all my pregnancy magazines.
It may be premature to celebrate, since it's only been two days, but I'm doing it anyways. This morning I took what will hopefully be my last picture of lovenox bruises. They are a few days old now and finally starting to fade:
And just for giggles, since we're documenting it all, let's just compare this bulging image to it's predacessor. Here I am back in early September, after my first week of Lovenox:
Ahhhh, yes .... that was back when my belly button went IN instead of OUT. And there were some muscles in there somewhere. I almost don't remember what that feels like. *SIGH*
As for the rest of my week, here's the abbreviated update: My cervix is measuring about the same (praise the LORD!). My doc's are planning to increase the home care I'm receiving from Matria and sweet nurse, Sharon (the one with the 40-foot needles). There is some confusion, however, as to what exactly the doctor has ordered. One says an NST (non-stress test) and home monitoring each week, the other says a terbutaline pump. I'm praying it's only the former, because the thought of a terb pump has me shaking already. That stuff is horrendous ... I took it by pill every 4hours with Gracie, but now the new technology allows it to be attached to your hip with a needle under the skin, and it pumps out a continuous dose 24-hours a day sub-Q. I'm trying not to think about it until I know for sure what they've decided. It will be Monday before I hear back on that. Dr. Mann was initially saying NO on the terb pump because she's afraid it will make me lose more weight (nausea and vomiting are common on the pump, in addition to the tremors and shaking you normally get with the oral dose).
Apparently I've somehow managed to lose 4lbs since returning home from the hospital last week. I have no clue how. I've literally laid here in bed eating double-cheeseburgers. And my biggest form of exercise consists of wiggling my big toe. So go figure. I had been up 12lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight; but since losing 4 that now makes me +8 overall. So yesterday Dr. Mann had a mild hissy fit and told me that I have to start drinking Ensure three times a week. And then said she's afraid to order a terb pump because she doesn't want me to lose any more. Dr. Garcia, on the other hand, hasn't said a single word about my weight .... he's waaaaaay more laid back about that stuff.
Those of you who know me well know that food and I have always been great friends. Particularly the yummy fatty variety. So no worries ... I'm eating lots! Today, in fact, I had a large bacon-egg-and-cheese buscuit, a coke, and a piece of pound cake for breakfast. Maybe I should take a picture of myself eating all this junk to quiet down Dr. Mann?
Let's see, what else? We've rented a wheelchair to make my trips to the doctor a little easier. I asked Dr. Mann yesterday if I could go to church Sunday if I take the wheelchair and promise not to stand up .... she said absolutely not! I'm very bummed about that but I will try again next week! I haven't been to church since Jan 4 and it's killing me.
I was at the doctor three times this week. I have three doc's and they each want to see me once a week. It's kind of tough getting out to Northside and Piedmont in my condition, I have to have someone drive me now ... we're trying to make arrangements so that I will have less visits each week. Although for me the doctor's visits help my sanity because it's the only time I'm allowed out of bed and it's nice to have a reason to wash my hair every now and then. Wednesday was a big day for me because I got to put on makeup *AND* get this ..... I even shaved my legs! I know, wow, right?
Other than that, I'm only getting out of bed to pee. It's a very boring existance. However I can't really complain because we have been so blessed all week with just an outpouring of offers for help. It is absolutely overwhelming. We've had tons of meals brought to us this week, and had a few friends drop by to have a "picnic" in my bed to help me pass the time. My parents came this week and painted Jamin's room for me - a huge undertaking! We've had others offer to come take Gracie for a playdate which has been super helpful. And ... best of all .... we've found Brandi.
Brandi is the new lady of the house. She comes each morning when James leaves for work, gets Gracie up and dressed, feeds her breakfast, and takes her to school or ballet, etc. She runs all my errands for me, brings all my meals and medications to my bed, and serves as a constant companion and play-toy for Gracie. I can't even begin to tell you what a relief it is to have her here. I will blog more about that next week.
So for now I'm trying to relax a little (nearly impossible task since my brain is still functioning) .... and I'm counting each day passed as a small victory. Today I am 27weeks 3days, thank you Jesus! I've got my eyes firmly fixed on week 28 .... that will be a huge milestone to pass and there will be much celebration next week when we get there.
A most heartfelt and profound THANK YOU to all of my sweet family and friends for the flood of generous assistance this week. I don't even have the words to adequately express our gratitude. We are overwhelmed by your kindness and love day after day and we are forever grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment