Thursday, September 23, 2010

HOTEL NORTHSIDE ........

I'm trying to pretend that it's similar to the Ritz-Carlton or the W Hotel (afterall, I do have a nice skyline view of the city) .... but when mealtime comes it's pretty hard to fool my tummy. Alas ... the food sucks, the decor is depressing, and the smell is pretty sterile. It's not a posh hotel. IT'S A HOSPITAL.

My stay here started unexpectedly on Tuesday. I had two doctor's appointments scheduled, my OB at 11:00 and my hematologist at 2:30. At the OB's office, I saw the midwife Wendy for the first time, since Dr. Garcia is on vacation. Wendy came in and chatted for a bit about my lovenox, measured my belly, and announced I was all set to leave. Skeptical, I asked her, "aren't you gonna check my cervix?" Since Dr. Garcia checks it every single week, it was hard for me to believe I was gonna get out of there without wearing the tissue paper sheet for a least few minutes. Especially since the night before I had been up until 2am with excessive contractions -- 7 per hour -- and a malfunctioning terbutaline pump.

She agreed a cervical exam was a good idea. Two minutes later I heard her announce that I am dilated 1cm, and immediately we both knew how lucky it was that we checked. Prior to this exam we have been seeing cervical thinning, or effacement, for several weeks. But no dilation until now.

Wendy instructed me to get dressed, and by the time I made it out to the hallway she already had Dr. Mann (perinatologist) on the phone. Dr. Mann's office is just around the corner on the first floor of the hospital, so plans were made for me to head straight over, sit on the toco monitor for a bit, and then have an ultrasound.

I grabbed a quick sandwich at the deli in Dr. Garcia's building and went straight over to Dr. Mann's. I only had a few contractions while sitting on the monitor, so I was hopeful that she would check me out and send me home. That hope faded the second the ultrasound technician got started and I saw the image of my cervix on the screen. Instantly I knew it was bad. It was visually shorter (effaced), and before the tech even began taking measurements I knew I had just landed myself in the hospital.

Dr. Mann entered the room a few minutes later, and with a sarcastic smile she said:

"WELCOME TO HOTEL NORTHSIDE! Your room is ready and waiting."

I tried to remind her that I've been a guest of "Hotel Northside" several times before and it has never been a relaxing stay. But she wasn't dissuaded. My cervix was measuring 1.7 cm long, down from 2.8 exactly one week ago, and dilated 1cm on top of that.

I asked her if I could at least go home and pack a bag, which prompted her to look at me like I had six heads. She responded, "Absolutely not. But I will allow you to put your pants back on, and those cute high-heeled shoes which you won't be wearing again for a really long time". Super. Then she told me I would be staying for "a while". I asked her for clarification, "do you mean I'll be here for weeks and weeks?", to which I got a resounding YES.

They literally brought a wheelchair to the ultrasound room, and wheeled me straight upstairs to admissions. Before I even had a chance to make a few phone calls, I was a in labor & delivery room on the high-risk floor hooked up to the monitors. I scrambled to call my hematologist's office to cancel my 2:30 appointment, and started making a list of necessities for James to pack and bring to the hospital. Of course, the list included my makeup and flat-iron, so maybe I'm presumptuous to call the entire list "necessities".

They started me on Indocin, the 72-hour tocolytic, and re-inserted my terbutaline pump. The rest of my meds stayed the same. I was poked, prodded and jabbed about once every 45 minutes for the next 24 hours or so. The steady stream of nurses coming in and out with medications and such made it impossible to sleep. I began having what felt like cervical pain "down low" sometime around 3:30 am, which prompted the midwife to wake me up for a cervical exam at 4:00. She took a urine sample and decided I had a bladder infection somewhere around 4:30 am ...... which meant more medicine ......... and as it turned out I got a total of about 2.5 hours of sleep that first night.

Yesterday afternoon, Wednesday, I was moved upstairs to the "HRP" floor. This is the high-risk perinatal unit, where they send women who are on hospital bedrest to gestate for endless weeks. I was settled into room 105 just before dinner and had yet another terbutaline pump placed in my leg. Around 8:00 pm I began hearing the most horrific noise emanating from the room next door, which I quickly discerned to be the sound of an unfortunate woman barfing her guts out. She vomited violently, without stopping, for about an hour and a half. When she wasn't puking she was crying loudly. It was so pitiful (and yucky) to listen to, I felt so sad for her. My nurse finally came in and explained that my neighbor had hyperemesis and has these violent spells of vomiting day and night. In her next breath she said she had already put in a transfer request so I could get moved to a quieter room. Everything in a hospital seems to run in slow motion, of course, so it was midnight before I was finally transfered down the hall to room 120.

This morning I was taken downstairs to Dr. Mann's office for an ultrasound. We found my cervical measurement had increased significantly since my admission, up to 2.9 cm! So this was fantastic news, but not enough to inspire confidence from Dr. Mann. She said she was keeping me here, for three reasons: (1) I gave her a "really good scare" and she wasn't quite over it yet. (2) My cervix seems to be voilatile, and just as quickly as it increased length, likewise it could loose length overnight. And (3) I had only about 16 hours of my Indocin course left, and we had no way of knowing if the crazy contractions would return as soon as my last dose wore off. She did not want me at home when coming off the Indocin. So her plan is to re-evaluate me with another ultrasound next Tuesday. Depending on how the cervix looks at that time, and what's going on with my contractions, she will make a decision on how much longer I stay at Hotel Northside.

For now I'm settled in and trying to make the best of it. It is incredibly hard being so far away from home and I miss my family like crazy! As much as I really don't want to be stuck at the hospital for weeks and weeks, at the same time I know that if I'm lucky ........... I'll be here for weeks and weeks. "Viability" is considered 24 weeks, this is when premature birth carries a 50% survival rate. My immediate goal is to get to week 28, when survival is over 90% and the long-term outlook is relatively good. Once God gets us to week 28 then I will start praying for week 32. Please join me!

No comments: