Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Magic 24!!!

Today is a day to celebrate.

It's a day of victory .... I have officially reached "viability", 24weeks gestation. This is such a huge deal for us, thank you thank you thank you Jesus!!! If the baby were born today, he would have approximately a 50% chance of surviving delivery, though the chance of severe disabilities is much higher at this point. The survival rates and long-term outlook gets better and better each week beyond 24.

Basically what all of this means to me is that I'm praying for week 28, when the survival rate is over 90%. My plan is to get to week 28 and then to begin praying for week 32! Dr. Mann's ultimate goal at this point is week 34.

Sara brought Jamin up this morning, we were able to visit for about an hour. He makes me so happy. I could just sit here and smell the top of his head all day ...... if only he'd hold still for longer than ten seconds! And some girlfriends stopped by around lunchtime. Jill brought me a ridiculously giant bag of chocolate and Chelley brought some pizza. Yummo.

So overall it's been a much better day today. I'm trying to stay positive and just to be grateful for the fact that we've made it this far. My contractions are picking up a bit this afternoon. I've had several doses of Indocin and will be getting my first betamethasone shot in about 10 minutes (sitting on an ice pack at the moment!) Dr. Grogan and Dr. Matsumoto (aka HOT-su-moto) came up to see me this morning. Dr. Matsumoto warned me that sometimes contractions will start picking up frequency within the first 24hrs after betamethasone. So that's something they will be watching out for.

Nurse just came in with my shot ..... eeeeeeeeeeeekkk wish me luck! :)

No comments: