Friday, January 30, 2009

Hold breath, click SEND.

With much trepidation and hesitance, I say: Welcome to my little corner of cyberspace!

For well over a year I have maintained my blog privately, as a personal journal of sorts. I've typed here as an emotional outlet for myself, but in recent weeks have toyed with the idea that perhaps "one day" I might invite some family and very close friends to have access to read it.

I think that day has finally come.

Given my current circumstances, and the knowledge that our journey will likely only get ... ummm ... more interesting in the near future, it seems like this is really the easiest, fastest, and most effective way to keep everyone informed on all the details of whats happening. I'm finding the old fashioned way of updating multitudes of people to be a little exhausting at times.

Since most people don't have the time (let alone interest!) to go back and read a year's worth of archived posts, let me summarize it all to catch you up to speed:

This blog was started in 2007 when James and I began trying to conceive a third baby. Conceiving took much longer than we had ever planned .... 11 cycles in fact .... so during that time I did lots of whining and threw several pity parties for myself. I'm a little embarrassed to say that the evidence of my pathetic sobs and grumblings can still be found here in all their shiny glory. If you're into that sort of thing, grab a small violin (or some Michael Bolton music might work if you're in a pinch) and check out the ugliness for yourself here, here, here and here. For those of you who don't have the stomach for insessent complaining and self-pity, skip the posts and read this condensed version instead: "whahhh, whahhhhhhh, why is my life so hard?". That just about sums up all the posts from those first few months.

After 11 cycles of tears and temper tantrums, we found out in late August that we were finally expecting! You can catch up on all that here.

As you all know, I'm 26weeks now and have been on bedrest for 2 1/2 weeks due to a thinning cervix, excess amniotic fluid, and increasing contractions: all signs pointing to an early delivery. Today is my 3rd day in the hospital.

Which brings us back up to the latest news ... not much has changed since my post from last night. I've just finished breakfast and need to jump in the shower before they change their minds and tell me I have to stay connected to the monitor. Radiology will be coming up in a few minutes to take me down to ultrasound. Dr. Mobasa, one of Dr. Mann's associates, has come in twice this morning, but really hasn't told me much of anything new. He basically said that after the ultrasound they would either prepare to send me home, or prepare to send me upstairs to the high-risk perinatal unit. Apparently this is where women are sent who are on long-term hospital bedrest and need to gestate for endless weeks. I will blog again later after the ultrasound and my meeting with Dr. Mann. Hopefully I will know something soon, try checking back in after lunch ... I will post an update as early as I can.

No comments: